Plantain(Banana)stem Stir fry:
Most part of the Banana tree is used in our cooking, raw banana, flower, and shoot. We know the complete plant is nutritionally rich and contain numerous medicinal value to consume.
The plantain will only fruit once. After harvesting the fruit, the plantain plant can be cut and the layers peeled (like an onion) to get a cylinder shaped soft shoot. This stem is rich in fiber include banana stem at least weekly once in your lunch and love to have it with rice.
Here are some health benefits of banana stem:
1. For Kidney Stones: Nowadays even doctors recommend including banana stem in the diet, for patients who suffer from gall bladder stones. If you are suffering from gall bladder stones, include banana stem in the diet at least weekly once.
2. For Weight Loss: Banana stem is full of fiber, a cup of a banana stem is very filling and will keep you satiated for a long time. Try to include it in your weight loss plan for fast results 3. Hyper Acidity: Drinking a cup of banana stem juice helps in treating
3. Hyper Acidity: Drinking a cup of banana stem juice helps in treating hyperacidity. You can also have it in empty stomach 4. For
4. For Constipation: Since plantain stem is full of fiber, it will greatly help people who are constipated. If you want to consume it as a juice for treating constipation, make sure not to strain the juice. 5. For Diabetic Patients:
5. For Diabetic Patients: Banana stem is excellent for diabetics, as it does not raise the blood sugar level sharply but drink the juice without straining it to retain the fiber.
6. For Urinary Tract Infections: Banana stem juice is also very effective for treating urinary tract infections. Clears the infection in the urinary track.
Many people don’t use banana stem in their diet because it takes the time to clean and cut the banana stem. But banana stem once cleaned and cut can be soaked in buttermilk. This buttermilk can be consumed by adding a little salt to it.
Method to prepare Poriyal :
It is very simple to prepare in few minutes after chopping. This healthiest dish can be taken with rice and sambar.
Plantain stem (Vazhaithandu)- 500 gram
Turmeric powder optional
Mustard seed-1/2 tsp
Urad dal-1/2 tsp
Curry leaves few
Step:1- Peel the outer layer of the shoot and chop the softer part of the stem into small pieces, drop into the buttermilk mixed water to avoid discoloration, this water can be consumed by adding a little salt in it, peel and chop onion and green chilies.
Step:2- Heat pan with oil and season it with the above mentioned to temper ingredients.
Step: 3- Add chopped onion and green chilies along with the curry leaves.
Step:4- Squeeze or drain water from the chopped plantain stem and drop it into the pan, saute altogether in medium flame until the stem gets soft cooked.(Chopped stem can be steam cooked to add)
Step:4- Finally add salt, pepper powder, and fresh grated coconut to enhance the taste.
Plantain stem stir fry is ready t serve.