Aval Upma / Poha:Method -2
Aval upma is otherwise known as Poha popular breakfast in India. Iron-rich poha is an all-time favourite breakfast recipe, especially in Maharashtra. In fact, poha can be had any time – packed in a box, a snack on the move, or a tea-time accompaniment.We Indians love our poha (or beaten rice pilaf). It can be prepared very easily and is highly nutritious as a lot of veggies can be added to it. In different states of India, poha is made in different ways and is a staple breakfast item in many households.
Packed with iron: Eating poha regularly can prevent iron deficiency or anaemia as it contains 20 mg of iron in every 100g raw rice flakes. Children, as well as pregnant and lactating women, can benefit greatly from consuming it. Softened poha is also a great way to add dietary iron when an infant is weaned from breastmilk. Sufficient iron helps the body to form haemoglobin that carries oxygen to body cells and also builds immunity. Squeeze a cut lemon on the poha as it helps improve iron absorption.
Ingredients to prepare: Serves 2 people
Aval-200 gms Thick flatten rice flakes
Green chillies-2 nos slit
Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
Coconut grated-1 tbsp
You can make it simple without vegetables also.
Vegetables as per your interest:
Potato boiled, cube cut and roasted 1/2 cup
Green Peas stir fried for a minute or 2-1/4 cup
Capsicum cube cut stir fried for a minute or 2
Oil-1 tbsp or ghee
Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
Urad dal-1/2 tsp
Channa dal-1/2 tsp
Cashews broken-1/2 tbsp
Curry leaves-1 twig
- Wash Flatten rice / Aval/ Poha in running water two to three times, drain it in a colander.
- Poha should not be soaked, but it should be soft and intact. Mix salt and sugar to it, keep it ready for seasoning.
- Heat pan with oil, add peanuts fry for a while, add channa dal fry it then finally add mustard and urad, allow it to temper. Fry dals and nuts carefully one after the other into golden brown.
- Now add chopped onion and green chillies, add vegetables as you prefer, sprinkle some turmeric powder, stir it well.
- Now time to add washed poha/Flatten rice or Aval to the seasoned mixture, stir it all together and close the lid for a minute to cook.
- Do not cook for a long time. Aval cooks faster and gets mashed.
- Squeeze lemon juice and grated coconut mix well.
- Delicious and healthy aval upma is ready to serve.