Palakkai urundai / Baby jack fruit balls:
Palakkai urundai or baby jack fruit ball, spicy and delicious ball is served as an appetizer.Innovative idea with palakkai. Normally palakkai is prepared in south Indian cooking like perattal, podimas, kootu as we do with other vegetables, innovatively here we have prepared fried balls, recipe from my mother’s special mutton balls but pure vegetarian. A stepwise recipe is provided for your convenience.
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Fennel seeds-1 tsp
Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
Pepper corns-1/2 tsp
Cashew nut-5 nos
Garlic-3 pods peeled
Ginger-1 inch peeled and sliced
Green chilli-4 to 5
Shallots-3 nos peeled
Coriander leaves-1 or 2 stalks optional
Freid channa dal-2 tbsp
Method to prepare:
1. Powder fried channa dal, keep it ready.
2. Heat pan with 1 tsp of oil and fry onion, garlic, green chili, and ginger. Next fry all other ingredients mentioned in” Ingredients-2″ to golden yellow you can feel the wonderful aroma of these fried spices.
3. Allow it to cool and grind to a smooth paste.
4.Boil cube cut raw jackfruit for 2 whistles. When it comes to normal temperature, drain water completely, mash it or grind carefully in a mixer for second or two, not to a fine paste.
5. Mix all 3 mixtures together with Salt.
6.Make it to a gooseberry sized ball and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
7. Heat oil in a wok and deep fry balls to golden brown.