Murungakeerai thovattal :
If you have a drumstick plant on your garden that symbolizes, you have a doctor at home. It is the best medicine for most of the common diseases and it is the most recommended spinach variety for all the age groups.Iron rich drumstick leaves are used in cooking versatile recipes.
From the bottom of the plant to the end of the plant, every part is used for many medicinal purposes. The root, stem, branches, flowers, gum on the surface of the branches, vegetable and leaves are the raw materials for many medicines.
Drumstick leaves-3 cups firmly packed
Shallots-1/2 cup chopped
Toor dal -1/2 cup or Moong dal as you prefer.(partially cooked)
Coconut grated-1/4 cup
Oil- 2 tsp
Mustard seeds-1 tsp
cumin seeds-1/4 tsp
Red chilli-3 nos
Method to follow:
1. Remove leaves from stalk, collect only leaves wash and drain water,Boil dal for 2 whistle (partially cooked).
2. Heat pan temper with above mentioned ingredients.
3. Add chopped shallots saute for a while, add greens to it.
4. Add 1/2 cup of water close and cook till it gets soft.Now add salt and cooked dal stir for 3 minutes in low flame, finally add grated coconut stir well and transfer to serving bowl.
5. Healthy, iron rich drumstick thovattal is ready to serve with rice and sambar.