Mixed vegetable/ Manga Thengai Mandi:
The main difference in this dish to the other dishes is that of water we use ‘Arisi Mandi’ the water we get while washing rice for making the gravy is the special ingredient. Origin of this unique recipe from Chettinad is very famous in that region. It is this rice drained water which gives extraordinary taste to the dish. If we prepare this dish on the days when we soak rice for idly we can get thick mandi. This same recipe can be followed to make vathal Mandi but should reduce the amount of tamarind.
Get Vathal from the link given below:
For taking the water, just wash rice once pour out the water and soak the rice in two cups of water for 5 minutes then collect the water from rice, filter it and keep aside.(I used just the water taken from 4 cups of rice)
Add Vathal in the place of Vegetables to make scrumptious Vathal Mandi
Soak Vathal variety in warm water for 5 to 10 minutes and use in the place of vegetables.
Drumstick -1 Small onion-100gms
Garlic flakes-5 Green Chillies-10
Chenna boiled 1/2 cup ( if preferred)
Mango small or Mango Vathal ( few pieces dried)
1/4 Cup Tamarind paste (lemon sized tamarind to make a paste)
1 1/2 Cup raw rice water (Rice rinsed water filtered )
Green Curry leaves
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds 1/2 Cup water
Salt to taste
Oil for frying
Note: You can use only Ladies finger and channa also instead of collecting all vegetables.
Add 1/2 cup water to the tamarind paste.
• Wash all the vegetables and cut them into small pieces.
• Chop the onions and garlic.
• Slit green chilies.
• Heat the oil.
• Season it and saute vegetables in oil for 5 minutes, all the cut vegetable pieces.
• Mix chopped onions, garlic, green chilies, and tomato.
• Add rice water, tamarind paste, and salt.
• Boil till the mixture turns thick and vegetable cooks soft.
• Finally, Heat the oil again and add mustard seeds and curry
• Mix it well.
Can eat with curd rice, Rasam and good with Idlies too.
• Vegetable Mandi is ready.