Chettinad Mutton Biryani:
Biryani is a highly aromatic and delicious one pot meal cooked carefully in step by step procedure followed to bring the traditional taste of Chettinad Biryani we don’t add any instant biryani masala powder here, fresh ground masala and aromatic Indian spices gives the rich taste and smell even after long time of consumption. Either, Mutton, Chicken or fish as non- vegetarian biryani or Vegetable biryani ,Meal maker, and many other varieties of biryani can be followed the same procedure with one or two step changes on boiling the method of mutton or chicken . Eid Special mutton biryani recipe below make and enjoy the taste of Chettinad method of preparation.
In olden days we do Dum cooking now it is done as simply by pressure cooker method. If you are comfortable to make dum biryani it can be done, use thick bottom pan, close the lid tightly sealed (with some maida batter to cover the surface) and place it on a hot iron tawa keep flame low once the pan is hot for 10 minutes it will be done. Another method is by placing “Kangu” (Charcoal fire) on top of the Biryani lid to cook.
This main meal can be served with the condiments of raitha along with gravy or Chalna to enhance the taste to mouth watering. Some prefer to have with pickle, fries as a combination. Chettinad style Mutton Curry link here.
- Seeraga Samba rice -1 cup (this rice is preferred for mutton Biryani than basmathi)
- Coconut milk -1 cup(extract from half coconut) or 1/2 cup of thick yoghurt can be used non sour
- Water -1 cup (total measurement of liquid should be 2 cups for 1 cup of rice)
- Onion 1 big-chopped long cut
- Tomato big-1 chopped
- Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
- Red chili powder
- Curry Leaves -1 twig
- Ginger garlic paste 2 tsp
- Salt as required
- Mutton 250 grams
- Lemon cut 1/8 piece
- To Season:
- Oil -1.5 tbsp
- Ghee -1 tbsp
- Bay leaves –1
- Cinnamon 2 small sticks
- Cloves -2
- Cardamom- 1
- Marati moggu -1
- Star anise- 1
- Garam Masala-1/2 tsp
- To Grind:
- Small onions 4
- Green chili 5
- Ginger &garlic or paste 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves handful
- Mint leaves handful
- Fennel seeds-1 tsp
- Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
- Black Pepper-1/2 tsp
- Wash the mutton and take in pressure cooker with turmeric powder, and salt, and water cover it.
- Cook for 5-6 whistles till mutton is cooked soft.
- Measure the soup of the mutton not more than 1 cup.
- Wash the seeraga samba rice
- keep it ready.
- Take all “To Grind Ingredients ‘ in mixer.
- Grind to a coarse paste by adding little water.
- Heat oil, ghee and temper with bay leaves, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, marati moggu and star anise. add garam masala 1/2 tsp.
- Then add the sliced onions and saute till onions are slightly brown.
- Then add ginger garlic paste and saute for 1 minute.
- Next add chopped tomatoes and saute till mushy.
- Then add grounded masala and saute nicely for few minutes, add salt, plain red chili powder 1/2 tsp.
- Then add few mint leaves and coriander leaves, a small piece of lemon with skin this helps to cook the mutton soft and reduces the odd smell.
- Add the washed rice to it and saute for a minute, add little ghee.
- Finally add coconut milk and mutton broth(soup) and allow it to boil add cooked mutton also now,
- Allow it to boil for 5 minutes in medium flame and then lower the flame and close the lid of the cooker without whistle.
- Cook in low flame for 5 minutes or 1 whistle and switch off.
- Once it cools down open the lid and gently fluff up the biryani.
- Delicious chettinad mutton biryani is ready. Serve it with raita or any gravy of your choice.
Serve with Mutton Curry Link below:
Note: Careful in adding water or Broth and coconut milk, altogether it should be 1:2 is the ration Seeraga Samba rice will be very small it consumes less water because we soak and saute to make it no sticky.