Gooseberry Thokku :
Nellikkai plays an important role in Ayurvedic medicine. We are aware of its health benefits too.
We can consume Gooseberry directly as it contains numerous health benefits. Gooseberries enhances food absorption, balances stomach acid, fortifies the liver, nourishes the brain and mental functioning, supports the heart, strengthens the lungs, regulates elimination, enhances fertility, helps the urinary system, is good for the skin, promotes healthier hair, acts as a body coolant, flushes out toxins, increases vitality, strengthens the eyes, improves muscle tone and it acts as an antioxidant. Gooseberries reduces blood sugar in diabetic patient. It strengthens heart muscles. It improves body resistance “.
I had plenty of gooseberries, as it could not be consumed like regular vegetables, I have planned to make Thokku without wasting it. It is very easy and delicious thokku can be mixed with plain cooked rice or with curd rice.
Chilli or chilli powder
Methi seeds-1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
jaggery powdered-1 tsp
Oil-2 to 3 tbsp, Gingelly oil preferably
Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
Curry leavs-1 twig optional
Method to prepare:
1. Clean, wipe and discard seeds cut Gooseberry to wedges. Steam cook for 3 minutes and allow it to room temperature.
(This can be grind without steam cooking also, grind the wedges and saute in oil is the other way to prepare thokku, For long lasting thokku steam cook and grind.)
2. Grind steam cooked gooseberry to a course powder without adding any water.
3. Heat wide pan and dry roast mustard seeds, cumin seeds, methi seeds and dry red chilli to golden yellow.
4. Grind in the mixer to a fine powder.
5. Heat pan with gingelly oil season with the above mentioned, “To Temper ingredients”. Add ground gooseberry saute for 2 minutes in medium flame
6. Add salt, powdered jaggery and masala powder, mix well and stir for 2 more minutes gradually it will lose oil on sides now gooseberry thokku is ready to use.
7. Allow it to cool and store it in a clean jar. It will be good for 15 to 20 days fresh.