Pillayar Patti Mothagam:
Vinayagar Chadhurthi, with the unique recipe prepared in Pillayar Patti – Modhagam. We believe that Lord Ganesha likes Modhagam, so we call him as Modhagappiriyar in Tamil, means who loves Modhagam. This is the reason behind we prepare various types of Kozhukkattai and show our devotion towards Ganesha. This the unique type of Modhagam prepared in Pillayar Patti during this Chathurthi. Freshly prepared with soaked raw rice and moong dal.
Number of Servings : 20 – 22 balls
Raw rice – 1 cup
Jaggery – 1 cup powdered
Moong dal – a handful or 1/4 cup
Coconut – 4 spoon or 1/4 cup grated
Elaichi-1/2 tsp powder Ghee-1 tbsp
- Wash and Soak the rice and dal together for 2 hours
- Then drain water from the rice completely, spread it on a clean towel or paper so that the water content will be absorbed, approximately (30 minutes)
- Rub off any moisture from the rice with the towel and grind it in the blender coarsely.
- Heat pan with 1 tbsp of ghee and roast the broken rice until it heats up to a hand bearable heat. keep aside
- Break the jaggery and heat it with a little water just to melt it. Sift the jaggery water to the strainer to remove the unwanted particles.
- Now boil 2 1/2 cups of water in another thick bottom pan, add the broken rice and stir constantly, it will start thickening and tight gradually, at this stage add jaggery melted water, cook until it thickens such that you can make balls out of it. Switch off.
- Now add coconut and Elaichi to the rice mixture allow it to cool.
- Make it into small balls by greasing your hands with gingelly oil or ghee
- Now steam the balls as you do for idly for 20 minutes.
- Allow it to warm and transfer Modhagam to serving dish carefully.