Milagu Vadai-Pepper Dal fritters:
Milagu vadai is made out of Urad dal and pepper to deep fry in oil, this will be crispy and yummy with any combination of the main meal or can be consumed as snacks with tea or coffee. This can be stored in an airtight container for a week time. This Vada is served as nievedyam for Anjaneyar on his auspicious birthday, as he loved the divine taste of this vada devotes make this as a Garlandfor him to get his blessings.
Ingredients to prepare:
Urad dal-1 cup
Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
Rice flour – 2tbsp (this gives additional crispiness)
Hot oil to mix batter-1 tbsp
Oil-200 ml to fry
- Wash and soak Urad dal for 30 minutes.
- Drain the water completely from soaked urad dal. let it stay on the colander for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Now, add Urad dal, Peppercorns, asafoetida, and salt to a mixer jar, grind to a coarse batter.
4. Transfer to a bowl, add cumin seeds chopped curry leaves if preferred.rice flour and hot oil one tablespoon which helps us to have crispy vada.
5. Mix well by beating it to have a smooth batter. Wet your hand, take a lemon sized batter to place it on a Butter paper close it with another oil spread butter paper or polythene cover press gently by your hand as thin patties make a hole in the middle.
6. Heat oil in a pan wet your hand and remove vada from the paper, drop it gently to the hot oil fry both the sides till it turns golden yellow drain the oil and collect to the tray. Crispy Milagu vada is ready to serve.
- Do not soak urad dal for a long time.
- Do drain the water completely to have the coarse grind of batter, do not make a smooth paste.
- Add hot oil to have crispy vada.
- Make thin patties to fry.