Senai Kilangu Katlau (Elephant foot yam):
This tasty side dish matches most of the main meal. We have very few recipe methods in this root variety, this method of partially steam cook but adding tamarind extract will reduce itching, shallow fry, and mixing with masala will be more delicious and interesting to prepare. This recipe is rarely made to give a special touch among the vegetarian dishes to treat.
It has been proved that elephant foot yam has many medical benefits as its root is highly stomachic, restorative, carminative, and tonic.
# The cooling effect of yam can be a cure for Hypertension.
# Yam is dried and often used as a treatment for piles and dysentery.
# Yam helps to reduce cholesterol levels in the blood. So it can be used as slimming food because it lowers cholesterol levels and promotes weight loss and also has a high concentration of key minerals.
# Yam can even act as an anticoagulant.
# Elephant foot yam can be safely consumed by diabetic people.
# Elephant foot yam helps to maintain the hormonal balance by increasing the estrogen level in women. It can relieve women from pre-menstrual syndrome as well.
# Hemorrhoids patients are also prescribed to have elephant yam.
# Powerful antioxidant Vitamin C is present which delays aging.
# It is also provided as a medicine for treatment to patients suffering from acute rheumatism.
# Irregular bowel movements and constipation can also be cured by consuming yam.
# Yam reduces muscle spasms.
However, it should be borne in mind that elephant yam is a cooling food. Hence patients suffering from a cold, sinus infection, or asthma should avoid its intake
Ingredients to prepare:
steam cook below-mentioned
Elephant foot yam-1/2 kg
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Tamarind extract-2 tbsp this helps to reduce itching which adds enhance in taste
ginger garlic paste-1 tsp
Masala powder-2 tsp
Salt -1/2 tsp
Fennel seeds-1/2 tsp
Method to prepare:
1. Peel the skin, cut into1/4 inch thick square slices or finger as you prefer, (but not thin)
1.Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp, Salt-1/2 tsp, Tamarind extract-2 tsp.
2. Boil in medium flame with the above-mentioned ingredients, senai kizhangu for 5 minutes on medium flame, or add some water and cook for a whistle in a pressure cooker. (drain excess water)
3. Heat 3 to 4 tbsp of oil shallow fry the partially boiled elephant yam to golden roasted, in batches.
4). Add a teaspoon of coconut oil and season fennel seeds, then sliced onion.
5. Add ginger-garlic paste chopped tomato and salt cook until tomato leaves its skin.
6. Add masala/ garam masala powder sprinkle a spoon of and cook for 3 more minutes on low flame as shown in the picture above. Finally, add roasted Yam and stir in medium flame to absorb the masala added for 3 more minutes.
7. Sprinkle chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with plain cooked rice, sambar, or Rasam will be nice with curd also. This recipe is rarely made to give a special touch among the vegetarian dishes to treat.