Senai Kilangu Katlau (elephant foot yam):
It has been proved that elephant foot yam has many medical benefits as its root is highly stomachic, restorative, carminative and tonic.
# The cooling effect of yam can be a cure for Hypertension.
# Yam is dried and often used as a treatment for piles and dysentery..
# Yam helps to reduce cholesterol levels in the blood. So it can be used as slimming food because it lowers cholesterol levels and promotes weight loss and also has a high concentration of key minerals.
# Yam can even act as an anticoagulant.
# Elephant foot yam can be safely consumed by diabetic people.
# Elephant foot yam helps to maintain the hormonal balance by increasing the estrogen level in women. It can relieve women from pre-menstrual syndrome as well.
# Hemorrhoids patients are also prescribed to have elephant yam.
# Powerful antioxidant Vitamin C is present which delays ageing.
# It is also provided as a medicine for treatment to patients suffering from acute rheumatism.
# Irregular bowel movements and constipation can also be cured by consuming yam.
# Yam reduces muscle spasms.
However, it should be borne in mind that elephant yam is a cooling food. Hence patients suffering from a cold, sinus infection or asthma should avoid its intake
Ingredients to prepare:
steam cook below-mentioned
Elephant foot yam-1/2 kg
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Tamarind extract-2 tbsp
ginger garlic paste-1 tsp
Masala powder-2 tsp
Salt -1/2 tsp
Fennel seeds-1/2 tsp
Method to prepare:
1. Peel skin, cut into square slices, mix with
1.Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp, Salt-1/2 tsp, Tamarind extract-2 tbsp.
2. Boil in medium flame with above mentioned ingredients, senai kizhangu for 5 to 8 minutes in medium flame or add some water and cook for a whistle in a pressure cooker. (drain excess water)
3. Heat 3 tbsp of oil shallow fry boiled elephant yam golden roasted in batches,
4). Add a teaspoon of coconut oil and season fennel seeds, then sliced onion.
4. Add ginger garlic paste chopped tomato and salt cook until tomato leaves its skin.
5. Add masala/ haram masala powder sprinkle some water and cook for 3 more minutes in low flame. Finally add roasted Yam and stir in medium flame to obsorb the masala added
6. Sprinkle chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with plain cooked rice, sambar or Rasam